Sunday, September 28, 2008
Minds
We discussed in our thought experiments on Wednesday whether or not certain things have minds or not, such as a dog or a tree. At first I thought that only animals and people could really have minds. But then I started to think about specifics and now the lines are blurred. Can we really say that a worm has a mind? What does it really do with it? But how can we say that a tree doesn't have a mind, if it does things like react to weather conditions? How can we say that any mind is not complex, such as that worm, if we are not actually worms? Maybe worms think exactly like humans but their brains don't work the same way therefore the studies scientists have done in observing it are pointless. I believe that everything has a mind in some way or another because not every creature can just be instinctual.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I remember talking about this in our discussion. I think you can make an argument that things such as trees and animals and plants that react to weather conditions, or amounts of food they have or dont have, or what is around them have minds. But then again, its important to define mind...and I dont know if I could define mind in an objective way.
Post a Comment